Wednesday, November 18, 2009

on science and national development

I always believe that maximizing the science and technology capabilities of our country will lead us to progress. We have seen how science propelled the progress of first world countries as they harness the full potential of their science and technology sectors. Such progress can also be attained by our country if we invest enough attention, resources and our own efforts as men and women of science. This is in the knowledge that science and technology are key players of our national development.

I believe that science has three key roles in national development. First, science and technology sets the grounds for innovation and improvement in our country by exploring on new applications of our resources and improving present practices by fabricating new technologies. This role of science gives it an important position in promoting national development by constantly improving the status quo and transforming the way we live through the researches that it produce. Constant improvement leads to progress and a better life for Filipinos. Second, science and technology propels economic progress and environmental care in the country. Scientific research advances our knowledge about our society and gaining such knowledge will move us to translating such knowledge into profitable-income generating ventures. Moreover, researches which look into using waste products of industries expand these industries, add to their income and protect the environment at the same time. Thus, science and technology has the capacity of leading our country towards sustainable development. Lastly, I believe that science and technology is essential in providing relevant and competent education to the Filipinos. Above anything else, it is sustaining and improving the quality of scientists who will continue to work on the scientific advancement in our country which is very important. More than that, it is ensuring that quality science education is brought to the population that makes science not a field limited only to few but a body of knowledge meant to touch the lives of all people.

The three key roles of science explored above can only be carried out by people who are into science and who believes that through it, national development will be achieved. As a junior scientist, I believe that I play an essential role in the advancement of science and technology in the country. First and foremost, I believe that I am responsible in promoting science to my immediate community. It is by helping people appreciate science that it can be spread and understood. By making lay people understand the benefits of science, its concerns, activities and developments in a language which is easily understood by them can science become embedded in the lifestyle of people. Second, I believe that I am given the task of taking further studies in Chemistry. In my case, I intend to major in Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Biochemistry or Natural Products Chemistry because I am passionate in understanding the underlying principles involved in the synthesis of drugs, extraction of novel active components from plants, structure elucidation of new compounds and finding cure to the many diseases that infest the Filipino people. This brings knowledge further by making it tangible and beneficial to people. Other than that, I think, that advancing my knowledge in any of these fields of specialization will make me equipped to become part of the Philippines’ Biochemical team who, apart from the influences of westerners, can formulate its original cure for many forms of diseases and set the stage for medical progress in our country. Third, I can contribute to science through education. I have always been passionate in tutoring fellow students who are having difficulties in understanding Chemistry and Mathematics. I always felt that sense of fulfillment whenever I am able to make some students understand a complex concept in chemistry or mathematics. Thus, I always say to myself that teaching will always be an option for me. Lastly, I think that my biggest role in the advancement of science and technology is to stand by my country no matter what. The idea of going abroad and stay there for good is inviting, but to stay and serve the Filipinos who need my expertise is the best thing that I can do in my life. We can never tell what happens in the future, but the challenge remains, that I stay and serve the Filipino people. I offer this service for the greater glory of God!

Science is a potent body of knowledge. It can transform our society and can serve as a vehicle towards national development. But it only finds its relevance if used to serve a community and in this case, our country which needs it the most. It is by translating science to a tangible, understandable and relevant object can its impact and importance be felt by lay people. Most of all, a passionate scientist ready to undertake continuous improvement through education, research and service is what the Philippines is clamoring. On my part as a junior scientist, I am ready to take on the responsibility and carry them out the best way that I can.
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam!

Michael Casas

No comments: