Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Inconvenient and Disturbing Truth

this essay is my reaction paper to the movie the inconvenient truth. i submitted this for my environmental chemistry class.

The truths presented by Former Senator Al Gore were not only inconvenient as the title of his documentary, The Inconvenient Truth, would say it, but the facts he and other scientists presented are disturbing especially that the destruction of the environment that we see and experience can only be pointed back to our humanity. It is a fact that as human beings, we tend to explore beyond what we have at present, thus through technology, researches and invention, we are able to improve our lifestyle. However, for the past fifty years or so, we have gained greater understanding of the universe especially in the dawning of space ships, we have improved our lifestyle through the technologies and researches materialized and we have established sprawling industries which provide for our daily needs all in the expense of our environment. This sad fact has been overlooked by our forefathers, who thoughtlessly made ways to improve the way we live without considering its implications to the environment and to our humanity in the long run. They were too near sighted of aiming for economic gain without considering the other side of the coin- which involves our environment. In effect, Winston Churchill says it well that, “… we are entering a period of consequences.” We are troubled and tormented by the changes happening in our environment. For me, this is a bittersweet reality which we ought to scrutinize- bitter, because we and other species’ existence is at stake with our doings, but at the same time sweet, because it serve as a wake up call so our very own habitat can be salvaged.

Watching the movie again in class, not only created new insights in me, but a greater level of disturbance was implanted in my conscience. I am disturbed with the possibility of losing the ice caps. I am disturbed with the diminishing of exotic species. I am bothered with the typhoons which have pestered the world. I am bothered with the emergence of new and hard to treat diseases. Most of all, I am disturbed by the possibility that all human beings will be gone in a few years time. These and many other pictures which I saw in the documentary really scare me. But, dwelling on these fears and not being able to do something about them is a shame. Thus, I am now looking at the disturbances which hovered in my mind as a challenge so I can help solve the problems that our humanity is facing.
As a junior scientist and chemistry major, I am challenged to look at the bigger picture and see how I can possibly contribute something to alleviate the issue especially in the context of our local and national environmental issue. First, I can possibly contribute in the advancement of environmental protection through research. In fact, my high school and undergraduate chemistry researches are my first steps towards this contribution. In these studies, I have proven that wastes from farms or leading industries may be utilized to boost the economy while preventing the dumping of these same wastes to the environment. Thus, it can truly be proven that environmental care and economic development can both come hand in hand through research. Second, I can start by changing the way I live and becoming a good example for others. This simple and easy to do task is what I think is the most practical and most effective of all. By changing the way I live and becoming a good example by segregating garbage, recycling, proper waste disposal and gardening are simple yet worth emulating ways which I can start today. Lastly, I believe that becoming an active member and leader in the community where I belong will be effective in starting the move towards taking care of the environment. I believe that my involvements are the best way that I can practice social and environmental responsibility by sharing my knowledge to my constituents and doing initiatives together to make the fight against environmental destruction successful. All efforts are more successful when done together by groups, because “more head is better than one.”

The destruction that our humanity caused to the environment can only be reversed first by our humility to accept that the issue has to be addressed as soon as possible. Such will pave the way to avoid skeptics from thinking that environmental problem is not a pressing issue. Moreover, it will be a precursor to a concerted effort from all sectors of society. Moreover, political will, a “renewable resource,” according to Al Gore should actively perform its responsibility in legislation for environmental protection. Laws which are sincerely and properly implemented after they are passed in congress are what we need at this point. We need not wait for the last minute to decide. The urgency of the issue has spoken through the destructive effects that we experience in our living. Thus, we are called to step up as responsible individuals to take action properly so that our great grand children can enjoy a livable world and eventually, they would tell us on our deathbeds “thanks for making this world a better place.”

It is worthwhile to be disturbed by the inconvenient truth!

AM+DG

Michael Casas

No comments: